Meet one of your fellow PR majors

Welcome back SOJC PR Students! As we revamped the website, we thought it would be best to introduce some outstanding PR students! Check out our first student voices post from senior, Meghan Mortensen:

Hi! My name is Meghan Mortensen, and I am a senior studying public relations with a minor in business administration. I came to UO from Southern California and in spite of the lack of sunny skies, I’ve loved my time here. Cheering on the Ducks at game day, sipping coffee at Vero and walking through campus in fall are some of my favorite memories of my time in Eugene. 

I chose to study public relations because the words we use shape so much of our lives, and I think that learning how to utilize the power of words to benefit people is really important. Storytelling is a love of mine, and public relations offers the opportunity to tell stories on behalf of clients whose brands resonate with me. It’s really exciting for me to think of what I want the world to think of my client, and to then use words to bring that thought to fruition. 

I’ve had so many incredible opportunities at the University of Oregon and the SOJC that I am so grateful for in my time here. I work in our student government office as the administrative coordinator of the biannual Street Faire and the project manager of ASUO Creative Services. In these roles, I’ve developed skills in event planning, social media management and graphic design. I’ve had two professional internships that I learned about through the SOJC. The advising office encouraged me to apply for my first internship at the College of Education my freshman year, resulting in two years of experience in social media management, journalistic writing and campaign development. I learned about J/PR, a boutique travel PR agency, in a PRSSA professional development tour. I spent the summer working with a group of really incredible women and learned about media relations, influencer relations and reporting methods. Now in my senior year, I am serving as the Vice President of PRSSA and Professional Development Director of Allen Hall Public Relations. It has been such an amazing opportunity to work so closely with students who are also really passionate about PR and eager to learn more.  

I plan to graduate in winter 2022 and once I do, I am hoping to get a job working in the corporate social responsibility space. I am really passionate about engaging with and supporting my community, and I would love to bring that energy to the organization I work in. No matter where I end up, though, I am so grateful for my experience in SOJC PR and excited to see where all of the tools I’ve learned will take me.